Spray painting an automobile? Professional auto body shops can charge an arm and a leg for full-body car painting. But if you’re the industrious type who doesn’t mind getting dirty, you can save thousands by spray painting your automotive parts yourself. Of course, Marathon Finishing has the best outdoor auto paint paint booths on the market to help you get the job done safely and efficiently! If you’re a beginner, here are some steps you can follow to paint just about anything.
Before you start, you need the following items:
• 1200 and 2000 grit sandpaper
• An electric or air-powered sander
• Masking tape
• An air compressor and a spray gun
• A buffer
• Face mask
• Safety glasses
• Topcoat acrylic or enamel paint
• Clear coat lacquer
Practice using a spray gun on a spare piece of metal to get the hang of hitting the trigger and spraying gently from side-to-side. Be careful not to stay in one spot for too long as the pain will get too thick and drip.
1. Wash the car parts or pieces and mask off the areas you don’t want paint to coat.
2. Use your power sander to strip away any old paint. Manually sand any hard to reach places. The smoother the surface, the better the finish will be.
3. Apply the undercoat with two or three coats to cover your parts completely, allowing each coat to dry completely before adding the next one. When dry, use the 2000-grit sandpaper to wipe it down and smooth the surface.
4. Clean the spray gun completely before proceeding to paint.
5. Apply three or four coats of paint, allowing each coat to dry. Before applying the final coat, go over your parts with sandpaper again to ensure a smooth finish.
6. Apply the clear coat lacquer.
7. Remove your masking tape while the lacquer is still wet.
8. Once the lacquer dries, buff with your buffer carefully to avoid damaging the finish.
Hopefully this gives you an idea of how you can paint your own car parts for much cheaper than the professionals. Whether you own a small spray paint business or a large automotive company, you can rely on the spray paint booths of Marathon Finishing. Contact us today for pricing information on all our greatest products or for more automobile painting instructions.